Gpsdrive+gpsd

John"D" Thompson
Hello I was having difficulties with gpsdrive V2.11 using gpsd v2.92-4, I noticed on the gpsd site that there are some protocol changes. Has gpsddive incorperated the new protocol?

Thank you
JohnD

Re: Gpsdrive+gpsd

Tobias Brox
On 17 June 2010 20:08, John"D" Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello I was having difficulties with gpsdrive V2.11 using gpsd v2.92-4, I
> noticed on the gpsd site that there are some protocol changes. Has gpsddive
> incorperated the new protocol?

I also got some problems using the versions of gpsdrive and gpsd
provided by Ubuntu - it seems like Ubuntu has messed it up a bit
delivering incompatible pieces of software. I solved it by fetching
the trunk version of gpsdrive and compiling it myself.

Re: Gpsdrive+gpsd

Charles Curley
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 12:08:48 -0600
"John\"D\" Thompson" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello I was having difficulties with gpsdrive V2.11 using gpsd
> v2.92-4, I noticed on the gpsd site that there are some protocol
> changes. Has gpsddive incorperated the new protocol?
>
> Thank you
> JohnD

See what gpsd returns when you telnet to it. E.g., where white is the
host:

$ telnet white 2947
Trying 192.168.1.29...
Connected to white.localdomain.
Escape character is '^]'.
{"class":"VERSION","release":"2.95~dev","rev":"2010-06-16T00:07:06","proto_major":3,"proto_minor":3}

That is the new (JSON) protcol, and your client should use libgps.

--

Charles Curley                  /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
Looking for fine software       \ /    Respect for open standards

Key fingerprint = CE5C 6645 A45A 64E4 94C0  809C FFF6 4C48 4ECD DFDB

Re: Gpsdrive+gpsd

hamish-2
John" wrote:
> Hello I was having difficulties with gpsdrive V2.11 using gpsd v2.92-4, I
> noticed on the gpsd site that there are some protocol changes. Has gpsddive
> incorperated the new protocol?

Yes, but for 2.11 you have to tell it which one to use at compile time.
There's an On/Off switch for using the old protocol in DefineOptions.cmake

make it so:
option(LIBGPS_OLD "Build with old libgps version (<2.90)" OFF)

then make clean && rebuild.

(svn trunk defaults that switch to use the new protocol; 2.11 defaults
to the old api)

if any debian devels are reading and want to lend a hand getting a non-
ancient version of the program into Experimental/Sid for testing, jump
over to the gpsdrive mailing list and say hello. Custom build rules for
sid[*] are in the main program svn and working; official Debian build
rules are housed in the DebianGIS svn repo at Alioth but are badly out
of date and in need of some TLC.

[*]with patches for ubuntus

Hamish