Re: [ gpsdrive ] Downloading the Debian version

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Downloading the Debian version

Alistair Fitchie-2
O.K. So it's been a couple of months since I postd and there has been no
reply.

I'll post for the last time, remove GPSDrive and remove my subscription
to the mailing list  as I don't seem to be getting anywhere as it is not
worth the effort anymore.

I have 4 GPS applications,
XGPS
Foxtrot
Navit
GPSDrive.

I managed to get XGPS, Foxtrot and Navit working perfectly.

Therefore it is not GPSD at fault or rfcomm0 or the dongle or the BT
reciever.
The problem lies fairly and squarely on GPSDrive.
I have uninstalled it with a complete uninstall which should have
removed everything.  It didn't.
On reinstallation it comes up with the same map and the same manually
entered position, so something stayed behind.

Still no GPS seen.

Unless someone can actually tell me how to reset GPSDrive, it's just
wasting space on the hard drive, but not for long...

All the best,
Fitch

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Downloading the Debian version

hamish-2
Alistair wrote:
> Therefore it is not GPSD at fault or rfcomm0 or the dongle
> or the BT reciever.
> The problem lies fairly and squarely on GPSDrive.

what version of debian was it?
what version of gpsdrive?
did you apply the gpsd new-api patch from the bug tracker in sourceforge?
  http://gpsdrive.sf.net/bugs
when you compiled did you edit CMakeLists.txt in the main source dir
to say you want the "new"(relatively speaking) gpsd api?

regards,
Hamish
(it works fine for me on squeeze without the new-gpsd-api patch)

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Downloading the Debian version

siaud xavier
ok
i'm in the same position than alistair.
i have send questions but nothing happens.
and i would like to use gpsdrive.
may be the 3.0.23???
xavier

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 13:19:47 +0000
Alistair Fitchie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> O.K. So it's been a couple of months since I postd and there has been no
> reply.
>
> I'll post for the last time, remove GPSDrive and remove my subscription
> to the mailing list  as I don't seem to be getting anywhere as it is not
> worth the effort anymore.
>
> I have 4 GPS applications,
> XGPS
> Foxtrot
> Navit
> GPSDrive.
>
> I managed to get XGPS, Foxtrot and Navit working perfectly.
>
> Therefore it is not GPSD at fault or rfcomm0 or the dongle or the BT
> reciever.
> The problem lies fairly and squarely on GPSDrive.
> I have uninstalled it with a complete uninstall which should have
> removed everything.  It didn't.
> On reinstallation it comes up with the same map and the same manually
> entered position, so something stayed behind.
>
> Still no GPS seen.
>
> Unless someone can actually tell me how to reset GPSDrive, it's just
> wasting space on the hard drive, but not for long...
>
> All the best,
> Fitch

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Downloading the Debian version

Bruce Johnson-5
On 2/10/2012 7:18 AM, siaud xavier wrote:

> ok
> i'm in the same position than alistair.
> i have send questions but nothing happens.
> and i would like to use gpsdrive.
> may be the 3.0.23???
> xavier
>

> On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 13:19:47 +0000
> Alistair Fitchie<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> O.K. So it's been a couple of months since I postd and there has been no
>> reply.
>>
>> I'll post for the last time, remove GPSDrive and remove my subscription
>> to the mailing list  as I don't seem to be getting anywhere as it is not
>> worth the effort anymore.
>>
>> I have 4 GPS applications,
>> XGPS
>> Foxtrot
>> Navit
>> GPSDrive.
>>
>> I managed to get XGPS, Foxtrot and Navit working perfectly.
>>
>> Therefore it is not GPSD at fault or rfcomm0 or the dongle or the BT
>> reciever.
>> The problem lies fairly and squarely on GPSDrive.
>> I have uninstalled it with a complete uninstall which should have
>> removed everything.  It didn't.
>> On reinstallation it comes up with the same map and the same manually
>> entered position, so something stayed behind.
>>
>> Still no GPS seen.
>>
>> Unless someone can actually tell me how to reset GPSDrive, it's just
>> wasting space on the hard drive, but not for long...
>>
>> All the best,
>> Fitch
I have nothing to contribute as of WinKarmic.  Though it hurts to admit,
Unbuntu lost its way and none of the other Linux distros caught my
fancy.  As an old duffer, I can say the compiler errors and the linking
of libraries demand a certain attention to details, often simple ones,
which prevent the program's proper function.

I no longer use gpsdrive but when I did, the .gpsdrive in the home
account often had to be deleted to rid oneself of earlier data.

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Downloading the Debian version

siaud xavier
i'm on debian mix testing and unstable.
and some ubuntu for gpsdrive(for exemple)
eeepc 1005ha xfce4 glx-dock compiz
it was often hard to install gpsdrive.
with aptitude or synaptic every time it finish with a "broken"...
and with the hand finding each library, and some times changing the name of libraries
for helping the programm to find the good one.
but i need gpsdrive ,,maps are differents....
so i try and i try and i try

satisfaction

xavier

siaud wrote:

> i'm on debian mix testing and
> unstable.
> and some ubuntu for gpsdrive(for exemple)
> eeepc 1005ha xfce4 glx-dock compiz
> it was often hard to install gpsdrive.
> with aptitude or synaptic every time it finish with a
> "broken"...
> and with the hand finding each library, and some times
> changing the name of libraries
> for helping the programm to find the good one.
> but i need gpsdrive ,,maps are differents....
> so i try and i try and i try

for ubuntu I put some packages here,
  http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/data/gpsdrive/

use gdebi to install them.

(nb I haven't tested the natty packages with a real gps)

for debian/64 bit (stable versions) just ask and I'll throw some up.

for deb testing/sid and ubu alpha builds you can use my build script
here:
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/bin/install_gpsdrive.sh

(that's much more involved than you need to go, but for reference...)

Hamish

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Downloading the Debian version

siaud xavier
root@debian:/home/papa# ./install_gpsdrive.sh
./install_gpsdrive.sh: 2: ./install_gpsdrive.sh: 2: not found
./install_gpsdrive.sh: 3: ./install_gpsdrive.sh: 3: not found
./install_gpsdrive.sh: 4: ./install_gpsdrive.sh: 4: not found
./install_gpsdrive.sh: 5: ./install_gpsdrive.sh: 5: not found
./install_gpsdrive.sh: 6: ./install_gpsdrive.sh: 6: not found
and so on

what i have done worse????

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 12:27:02 -0800 (PST)
Hamish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> siaud wrote:
> > i'm on debian mix testing and
> > unstable.
> > and some ubuntu for gpsdrive(for exemple)
> > eeepc 1005ha xfce4 glx-dock compiz
> > it was often hard to install gpsdrive.
> > with aptitude or synaptic every time it finish with a
> > "broken"...
> > and with the hand finding each library, and some times
> > changing the name of libraries
> > for helping the programm to find the good one.
> > but i need gpsdrive ,,maps are differents....
> > so i try and i try and i try
>

> for ubuntu I put some packages here,
>   http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/data/gpsdrive/
>
> use gdebi to install them.
>
> (nb I haven't tested the natty packages with a real gps)
>

> for debian/64 bit (stable versions) just ask and I'll throw some up.
>
> for deb testing/sid and ubu alpha builds you can use my build script
> here:
> https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/bin/install_gpsdrive.sh
>
> (that's much more involved than you need to go, but for reference...)
>

> Hamish

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Downloading the Debian version

siaud xavier
ok i have try dpkg
root@debian:/home/papa# dpkg -i /home/papa/gpsdrive-friendsd_2.11_i386.deb /home/papa/gpsdrive-utils_2.11_i386.deb /home/papa/gpsdrive_2.11_i386.deb
he ask me:   Le paquet openstreetmap-map-icons is not installed
ok i will install
root@debian:/home/papa# dpkg -i /home/papa/gpsdrive-friendsd_2.11_i386.deb /home/papa/gpsdrive-utils_2.11_i386.deb /home/papa/gpsdrive_2.11_i386.deb /home/papa/openstreetmap-map-icons_25996_all.deb
he needs:

  Le paquet openstreetmap-map-icons-classic.small n'est pas installé.
  Le paquet openstreetmap-map-icons-classic.big n'est pas installé.
  Le paquet openstreetmap-map-icons-square.small n'est pas installé.
  Le paquet openstreetmap-map-icons-square.small-minimal n'est pas installé.
  Le paquet openstreetmap-map-icons-square.big n'est pas installé.
  Le paquet openstreetmap-map-icons-japan n'est pas installé.
  Le paquet openstreetmap-map-icons-svg n'est pas installé.
  Le paquet openstreetmap-map-icons-svg-twotone n'est pas installé.
  Le paquet openstreetmap-map-icons-japan-png n'est pas installé.
  Le paquet openstreetmap-map-icons-svg-png n'est pas installé.
  Le paquet openstreetmap-map-icons-svg-twotone-png n'est pas installé.
every time for each version he asks me others and others packages
that i haven't.

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 22:33:26 +0100
siaud xavier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> root@debian:/home/papa# ./install_gpsdrive.sh
> ./install_gpsdrive.sh: 2: ./install_gpsdrive.sh: 2: not found
> ./install_gpsdrive.sh: 3: ./install_gpsdrive.sh: 3: not found
> ./install_gpsdrive.sh: 4: ./install_gpsdrive.sh: 4: not found
> ./install_gpsdrive.sh: 5: ./install_gpsdrive.sh: 5: not found
> ./install_gpsdrive.sh: 6: ./install_gpsdrive.sh: 6: not found
> and so on
>
> what i have done worse????
>

> On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 12:27:02 -0800 (PST)
> Hamish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > siaud wrote:
> > > i'm on debian mix testing and
> > > unstable.
> > > and some ubuntu for gpsdrive(for exemple)
> > > eeepc 1005ha xfce4 glx-dock compiz
> > > it was often hard to install gpsdrive.
> > > with aptitude or synaptic every time it finish with a
> > > "broken"...
> > > and with the hand finding each library, and some times
> > > changing the name of libraries
> > > for helping the programm to find the good one.
> > > but i need gpsdrive ,,maps are differents....
> > > so i try and i try and i try
> >

> > for ubuntu I put some packages here,
> >   http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/data/gpsdrive/
> >
> > use gdebi to install them.
> >
> > (nb I haven't tested the natty packages with a real gps)
> >

> > for debian/64 bit (stable versions) just ask and I'll throw some up.
> >
> > for deb testing/sid and ubu alpha builds you can use my build script
> > here:
> > https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/bin/install_gpsdrive.sh
> >
> > (that's much more involved than you need to go, but for reference...)
> >

> > Hamish

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Downloading the Debian version

siaud xavier
ok
gpsdrive is installed
but
Des erreurs ont été rencontrées pendant l'exécution :
 openstreetmap-map-icons
 gpsdrive
there are mistakes...yes it's installed but not correctly.
i have ask one time
that latitude and longitude should be writting on the map downloaded and not on a file alone.
when the file is lost we lost all maps....
i have losted this file but with plenty of maps......hhhhaaaargg!!!!!

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 23:06:41 +0100
siaud xavier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ok i have try dpkg
> root@debian:/home/papa# dpkg -i /home/papa/gpsdrive-friendsd_2.11_i386.deb /home/papa/gpsdrive-utils_2.11_i386.deb /home/papa/gpsdrive_2.11_i386.deb
> he ask me:   Le paquet openstreetmap-map-icons is not installed
> ok i will install
> root@debian:/home/papa# dpkg -i /home/papa/gpsdrive-friendsd_2.11_i386.deb /home/papa/gpsdrive-utils_2.11_i386.deb /home/papa/gpsdrive_2.11_i386.deb /home/papa/openstreetmap-map-icons_25996_all.deb
> he needs:
>
>   Le paquet openstreetmap-map-icons-classic.small n'est pas installé.
>   Le paquet openstreetmap-map-icons-classic.big n'est pas installé.
>   Le paquet openstreetmap-map-icons-square.small n'est pas installé.
>   Le paquet openstreetmap-map-icons-square.small-minimal n'est pas installé.
>   Le paquet openstreetmap-map-icons-square.big n'est pas installé.
>   Le paquet openstreetmap-map-icons-japan n'est pas installé.
>   Le paquet openstreetmap-map-icons-svg n'est pas installé.
>   Le paquet openstreetmap-map-icons-svg-twotone n'est pas installé.
>   Le paquet openstreetmap-map-icons-japan-png n'est pas installé.
>   Le paquet openstreetmap-map-icons-svg-png n'est pas installé.
>   Le paquet openstreetmap-map-icons-svg-twotone-png n'est pas installé.ok

> every time for each version he asks me others and others packages
> that i haven't.
>

> On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 22:33:26 +0100
> siaud xavier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > root@debian:/home/papa# ./install_gpsdrive.sh
> > ./install_gpsdrive.sh: 2: ./install_gpsdrive.sh: 2: not found
> > ./install_gpsdrive.sh: 3: ./install_gpsdrive.sh: 3: not found
> > ./install_gpsdrive.sh: 4: ./install_gpsdrive.sh: 4: not found
> > ./install_gpsdrive.sh: 5: ./install_gpsdrive.sh: 5: not found
> > ./install_gpsdrive.sh: 6: ./install_gpsdrive.sh: 6: not found
> > and so on
> >
> > what i have done worse????
> >

> > On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 12:27:02 -0800 (PST)
> > Hamish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > for ubuntu I put some packages here,
> > >   http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/data/gpsdrive/
> > >
> > > use gdebi to install them.
> > >
> > > (nb I haven't tested the natty packages with a real gps)
> > >

> > > for debian/64 bit (stable versions) just ask and I'll throw some up.
> > >
> > > for deb testing/sid and ubu alpha builds you can use my build script
> > > here:
> > > https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/bin/install_gpsdrive.sh
> > >
> > > (that's much more involved than you need to go, but for reference...)

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Downloading the Debian version

Alistair Fitchie-2

Hamish wrote

what version of debian was it?
what version of gpsdrive?
did you apply the gpsd new-api patch from the bug tracker in sourceforge?
   http://gpsdrive.sf.net/bugs
when you compiled did you edit CMakeLists.txt in the main source dir
to say you want the "new"(relatively speaking) gpsd ap

I put this info in a previous email, but it has upgraded since then.

It is a 32 bit Dell Latitude D430 laptop running Ubuntu (Mint Katya)
2.6.38-13-generic now
GPS Drive 2.10Pre4, ELS BT GPS-1210 Bluetooth GPS

Your link for the patch no longer exists and the redirect page is not
informative enough to get to the patch.

I used the software manager to download  2.10 Pre4 as (explained in an
earlier post) the page for 2.11 doesn't exist either.  So editing
CMakeLists.txt isn't possible.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

cheers!
Alistair

Hamish wrote:
for deb testing/sid and ubu alpha builds you can use my build script here:
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/bin/install_gpsdrive.sh

Thing is, because it's not an ftp site, it cannot be downloaded in a
useable form because of the line numbers on the left, or it just
downloads an html file.

cheers!
Alistair

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Downloading the Debian version

Alistair Fitchie-2
The only page I could find that had .deb packages for 2.11 was:

http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/data/gpsdrive/natty/

I managed to install the gpsfriends package, no errors.
I managed to install the gpsutils package, no errors.

gpsdrive_2.11_i386.deb
Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: openstreetmap-map-icons (> 8310)

openstreetmap-map-icons-classic.small_25996_all.deb
Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: openstreetmap-map-icons (> 14170)

openstreetmap-map-icons-square.big_25996_all.deb
Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: openstreetmap-map-icons (> 14170)

openstreetmap-map-icons-square.small_25996_all.deb
Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: openstreetmap-map-icons (> 14170)

openstreetmap-map-icons_25996_all.deb
Error: Dependency is not satisfiable:
openstreetmap-map-icons-classic.small|openstreetmap-map-icons-classic.big|openstreetmap-map-icons-square.small|openstreetmap-map-icons-square.small-minimal|openstreetmap-map-icons-square.big|openstreetmap-map-icons-japan|openstreetmap-map-icons-svg|openstreetmap-map-icons-svg-twotone|openstreetmap-map-icons-japan-png|openstreetmap-map-icons-svg-png|openstreetmap-map-icons-svg-twotone-png

What gets me is that I already have openstreetmaps icons installed....

And remember the original query (november last year I think

To get automatic updates, one is meant to type in:

  gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.de.pgp.net --recv-keys 147DAD31

results in:
gpg: requesting key 147DAD31 from hkp server wwwkeys.de.pgp.net
gpg: keyserver timed out
gpg: keyserver receive failed: keyserver error

I know you're doing your best and I hope that you take this info in a
helpful way, I'm not trying to gripe, (well, I am a little), you've made
a great deal of effort to get it to this stage, and I hope that one day,
you'll get it finally figured out for Debian.

I wish I was a programmer, but sadly, I'm not and cannot help productively.

I wish you all the best with this project.

Best regards,
Alistair.

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Downloading the Debian version

4x4falcon
On 11/02/12 08:01, Alistair Fitchie wrote:

> The only page I could find that had .deb packages for 2.11 was:
>
> http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/data/gpsdrive/natty/
>
> I managed to install the gpsfriends package, no errors.
> I managed to install the gpsutils package, no errors.
>
> gpsdrive_2.11_i386.deb
> Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: openstreetmap-map-icons (> 8310)
>
> openstreetmap-map-icons-classic.small_25996_all.deb
> Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: openstreetmap-map-icons (> 14170)
>
> openstreetmap-map-icons-square.big_25996_all.deb
> Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: openstreetmap-map-icons (> 14170)
>
> openstreetmap-map-icons-square.small_25996_all.deb
> Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: openstreetmap-map-icons (> 14170)
>
> openstreetmap-map-icons_25996_all.deb
> Error: Dependency is not satisfiable:
> openstreetmap-map-icons-classic.small|openstreetmap-map-icons-classic.big|openstreetmap-map-icons-square.small|openstreetmap-map-icons-square.small-minimal|openstreetmap-map-icons-square.big|openstreetmap-map-icons-japan|openstreetmap-map-icons-svg|openstreetmap-map-icons-svg-twotone|openstreetmap-map-icons-japan-png|openstreetmap-map-icons-svg-png|openstreetmap-map-icons-svg-twotone-png
>

> What gets me is that I already have openstreetmaps icons installed....
>
> And remember the original query (november last year I think
>
> To get automatic updates, one is meant to type in:
>
> gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.de.pgp.net --recv-keys 147DAD31
>
> results in:
> gpg: requesting key 147DAD31 from hkp server wwwkeys.de.pgp.net
> gpg: keyserver timed out
> gpg: keyserver receive failed: keyserver error
>
> I know you're doing your best and I hope that you take this info in a
> helpful way, I'm not trying to gripe, (well, I am a little), you've made
> a great deal of effort to get it to this stage, and I hope that one day,
> you'll get it finally figured out for Debian.
>
> I wish I was a programmer, but sadly, I'm not and cannot help productively.
>
> I wish you all the best with this project.
>
> Best regards,
> Alistair.

Part of the problem is that the orginal maintainers seem to have
completely moved on to other things and left gpsdrive hanging.  I also
have lots of other things that are occupying my time.

Both Hamish and I put a lot of effort into gpsdrive, I have it running
perfectly on all computers I've installed it on, including minutely
mapnik updates, Australian topo maps.  Maybe one day I'll write an
ultimate install guide.

A full manual install is here:

sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/gpsdrive/index.php?title=8.04_manual

It's for ubuntu 8.04 so you will have to update any package versions,
however the principal still works and this is what I use to install it.

The deb install has always been iffy.  If I knew more about how it's
done I'd rewrite that section to remove the openstreetmap-icon requirements.

However it is possible, this is how I did it for ubuntu 8.10:

sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/gpsdrive/index.php?title=8.10_deb

It will work you will have to update all the package versions.

Cheers
Ross
info a 4x4falcon d com

Hamish wrote:

 >> >  >  by the way, updated 2.11 packages for GpsDrive
 >> >  >  are available fromwww.gpsdrive.de  for debian
 >> >  >  releases, and
 >> >  >?http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/data/gpsdrive/  for
 >> >  >  Ubuntu releases.

In attempting to load gpsdrive_2.11svn2556.lucid_i386.deb from the above
link I get:
Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libboost-filesystem1.40.0 (>=
1.40.0-1)

I have libboost-filesystem1.42.0 installed

I also get similar errors to the ones noted above when trying to
download the openstreetmap icons.

Hamish wrote:
[...]

Keep Smiling!
Best regards,
Alistair.

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Downloading the Debian version

siaud xavier
ok j'ai reussi!
i won!
on :
www.gpsdrive.de/debian/pool/squeeze/

i have download all and "dpkg -i"
openstreetmap-map-icons-svg (25996) ...
openstreetmap-map-icons (25996) ...
openstreetmap-map-icons-classic.big (25996) ...
openstreetmap-map-icons-classic.small (25996) ...
openstreetmap-map-icons-japan (25996) ...
openstreetmap-map-icons-square.big (25996) ...
openstreetmap-map-icons-square.small (25996) ...
openstreetmap-map-icons-svg-png (25996) ...
openstreetmap-map-icons-svg-twotone-png (25996) ...
openstreetmap-map-icons-svg-twotone (25996) ...
after i download
gpsdrive_2.12_i386.deb
gpsdrive-utils_2.12_i386.deb
gpsdrive-friendsd_2.12_i386.deb

no more and all is ok with 2.12
on debian 3.1.0-1-486

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 02:21:20 +0000
> [...]

> To get automatic updates, one is meant to type in:
>
>   gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.de.pgp.net --recv-keys 147DAD31
>
> results in:
> gpg: requesting key 147DAD31 from hkp server wwwkeys.de.pgp.net
> gpg: keyserver timed out
> gpg: keyserver receive failed: keyserver error
>

> I know you're doing your best and I hope that you take this info in a
> helpful way, I'm not trying to gripe, (well, I am a little), you've made
> a great deal of effort to get it to this stage, and I hope that one day,
> you'll get it finally figured out for Debian.
>
> I wish I was a programmer, but sadly, I'm not and cannot help productively.
>
> I wish you all the best with this project.
>

> Keep Smiling!
> Best regards,
> Alistair.

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Downloading the Debian version

and now
how is it possible to download the old maps on gpsdrive?
there there is openstreetmaps but i prefere the old ones.
how is it possible to have them again?

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 18:46:03 +0100

xavier wrote:
> how is it possible to download the old maps on gpsdrive?
> there there is openstreetmaps but i prefere the old ones.
> how is it possible to have them again?

I'm not sure which ones you're talking about.

? the base continent/country maps ? (taken from NASA's 2002 Blue Marble)
? street maps of some flavour ?
? NASA's LANDSAT mosaic ? (thanks to US govt budget cuts this is now disabled)
? your personal map collection ? (no idea)

the gpsfetchmap.pl script has most of the map servers available.

Hamish

xavier wrote:
> ok j'ai reussi!
> i won!

excellent.

> on :
> www.gpsdrive.de/debian/pool/squeeze/
>
> i have download all and "dpkg -i"
> openstreetmap-map-icons-svg (25996) ...
> openstreetmap-map-icons (25996) ...
> openstreetmap-map-icons-classic.big (25996) ...
> openstreetmap-map-icons-classic.small (25996) ...
> openstreetmap-map-icons-japan (25996) ...
> openstreetmap-map-icons-square.big (25996) ...
> openstreetmap-map-icons-square.small (25996) ...
> openstreetmap-map-icons-svg-png (25996) ...
> openstreetmap-map-icons-svg-twotone-png (25996) ...
> openstreetmap-map-icons-svg-twotone (25996) ...
> after i download
> gpsdrive_2.12_i386.deb
> gpsdrive-utils_2.12_i386.deb
> gpsdrive-friendsd_2.12_i386.deb
>
> no more and all is ok with 2.12
> on debian 3.1.0-1-486

version 3.1 of what?

fwiw all required osm icon debs (except for the 300mb global OSM coastline
one) were mirrored on the download.osgeo.org site I posted, in the parent
dir. note the names are slightly different than the system ones, for now
I just install both.

> > It is a 32 bit Dell Latitude D430 laptop running Ubuntu (Mint Katya)
> > 2.6.38-13-generic now GPS Drive 2.10Pre4, ELS BT GPS-1210 Bluetooth GPS

(that's a really really old version, try for 2.11 now)

Is that version of Mint tied to a particular Ubuntu build? or are they
slightly out of sync like debian and ubuntu releases? if slightly out
of sync there'll probably be boost version issues as that changes all
the time.  I'll only supply .debs for official ubuntu and debian releases,
that's all I can practially manage. but my build script is published if
folks want to try their own. see also the build cluster on the gpsdrive.de
site for lots of debian and ubuntu packages:

http://www.gpsdrive.de/build_cluster/results.shtml

Hamish:
> > > did you apply the gpsd new-api patch from the bug tracker in
> > > sourceforge?
> > >    http://gpsdrive.sf.net/bugs
..
> > Your link for the patch no longer exists and the redirect page is not
> > informative enough to get to the patch.

that link has always been a redirect, because it is simpler to
remember than "http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=148048"

(also there is svn/ wiki/ etc. url redirect links from gpsdrive.sf.net/)

from there you'll find 33 open bugs (you have to tell SF to filter
on "open" for unknown reasons..) look for one which talks about gpsd.

> > I used the software manager to download  2.10 Pre4 as (explained in
> > an earlier post) the page for 2.11 doesn't exist either.

I hasn't been uploaded to the central debian servers yet. Right now I'm
working on getting OpenCPN in there (the work on that is pretty much done)
and the upcoming GRASS 6.4.2 package. the updated gpsdrive one will need a
bit of work to bring things back into line..

once it's in debian it should eventually trickle down to the others.

> > So editing CMakeLists.txt isn't possible.

you edit that before building gpsdrive from source code, it's not anything
to do with precompiled binary packages.

> > The only page I could find that had .deb packages for 2.11 was:
> > http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/data/gpsdrive/natty/

right, I built those for the live.osgeo.org live demo dvd.
but there is also the build cluster (link above)

> > I managed to install the gpsfriends package, no errors.
> > I managed to install the gpsutils package, no errors.
> >
> > gpsdrive_2.11_i386.deb
> > Error: Dependency is not satisfiable:
> openstreetmap-map-icons (> 8310)
> > openstreetmap-map-icons-classic.small_25996_all.deb
> > Error: Dependency is not satisfiable:
> openstreetmap-map-icons (> 14170)
> > openstreetmap-map-icons-square.big_25996_all.deb
> > Error: Dependency is not satisfiable:
> openstreetmap-map-icons (> 14170)
> > openstreetmap-map-icons-square.small_25996_all.deb
> > Error: Dependency is not satisfiable:
> openstreetmap-map-icons (> 14170)
> > openstreetmap-map-icons_25996_all.deb
> > Error: Dependency is not satisfiable:
> > openstreetmap-map-icons-classic.small|openstreetmap-map-icons-classic.big|openstreetmap-map-icons-square.small|openstreetmap-map-icons-square.small-minimal|openstreetmap-map-icons-square.big|openstreetmap-map-icons-japan|openstreetmap-map-icons-svg|openstreetmap-map-icons-svg-twotone|openstreetmap-map-icons-japan-png|openstreetmap-map-icons-svg-png|openstreetmap-map-icons-svg-twotone-png
> >
> > What gets me is that I already have openstreetmaps
> > icons installed....

check the names, there are slight variations in the official OS versions
and the ones you download from gpsdrive.de. if you have a few free MB
just install them both to be sure.

> > In attempting to load gpsdrive_2.11svn2556.lucid_i386.deb from the above
> > link I get:
> > Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libboost-filesystem1.40.0 (>= 1.40.0-1)
> > I have libboost-filesystem1.42.0 installed

were you trying to install a package build for Lucid on Natty? that
won't work. you need the Natty version. Boost changes their package
names every few months, it's a bit annoying.

> > Hamish wrote:
> > for deb testing/sid and ubu alpha builds you can use my build script
> > here:
> > https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/bin/install_gpsdrive.sh
> >
> > Thing is, because it's not an ftp site, it cannot be downloaded in a
> > useable form because of the line numbers on the left, or it just
> > downloads an html file.

go to the bottom of the page and you'll see a light grey link "download in
original format"

> > And remember the original query (november last year I think

I can't even remember last week :-)

> > To get automatic updates, one is meant to type in:
> >
> >   gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.de.pgp.net
> --recv-keys 147DAD31
> >
> > results in:
> > gpg: requesting key 147DAD31 from hkp server
> wwwkeys.de.pgp.net
> > gpg: keyserver timed out
> > gpg: keyserver receive failed: keyserver error

no idea, but not sure why you need that. just download the .debs by
hand and used gdebi to install them.

> > I know you're doing your best and I hope that you take this info in
> > a helpful way, I'm not trying to gripe, (well, I am a little),

don't worry, it's constructive feedback.

> > I wish I was a programmer, but sadly, I'm not and cannot help
> > productively.

I find that banging your head against these walls can often be an
educational experience, and the knowledge gained reusable.

regards,
Hamish