Quantcast

[ gpsdrive ] Downloading the Debian version

[ gpsdrive ] Downloading the Debian version

Alistair Fitchie
Hi all

Just a litlle niggle....

I have version 2.10 installed - never got it to work via my bluetooth
GPS receiver - I blame it on a cloudy day, well, actually a lot of
cloudy days in N.E. England.

I would dearly love to upgrade to 2.11, if that is indeed the newest
version, but my knowledge and experience wih tars and compiling is
extremely limited, so I thought the db package would suit me to the
ground, except it doesn't exist.
Clicking on the link at http://www.gpsdrive.de/download.shtml gives the
page:

The requested URL /debian/pool/main/gpsdrive_2.11_i386.deb was not found
on this server.

Shame really....

Never mind maybe one day...

Fitch.

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Downloading the Debian version

hamish-2
Alistair wrote:
> I have version 2.10 installed - never got it to
> work via my bluetooth GPS receiver - I blame it
> on a cloudy day, well, actually a lot of cloudy
> days in N.E. England.

first thing to do is to install the gpsd-clients
package, and confirm that the 'xgps' program can
see the GPS.

I've never had much luck with autostarted gpsd,
I usually start it with 'gpsd -n /dev/ttyUSB0'
(or whatever device yours shows up as, see `dmesg`
after plugging it in)

you may need to 'killall gpsd' as root before
(re)starting gpsd.

also you might have to add your user account to
the dialup or some other group, do
 ls -l /dev/tty*
and see if there are special group restrictions.
then you don't need to be root to launch gpsd.

> I would dearly love to upgrade to 2.11, if that
> is indeed the newest version, but my knowledge
> and experience wih tars and compiling is extremely
> limited, so I thought the db package would suit
> me to the ground, except it doesn't exist.

what version of Debian? 32 or 64 bit?
(what does 'uname -r' say?)

Hamish