[ gpsdrive ] Easy way to install gpsdrive 2.12pre on Ubuntu

[ gpsdrive ] Easy way to install gpsdrive 2.12pre on Ubuntu

Ken Stailey
Hi,

I took the latest svn checkout and touched up the debian directory a bit and put the results in this PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~nutznboltz/+archive/gpsdrive

If you are unfamiliar with using PPAs on Ubuntu here's the quick start guide:

sudo apt-get install python-software-properties
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:nutznboltz/gpsdrive
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

At that point if you had an older version of gpsdrive installed it will be upgraded.

If you didn't install gpsdrive you can do that now:

sudo apt-get install gpsdrive

Let me know if you have any questions.  Searching the web for "launchpad ppa" is helpful too.

Thanks,
Ken

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Easy way to install gpsdrive 2.12pre on Ubuntu

Paul Martin-2
On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 08:26:14AM -0800, Ken Stailey wrote:

> I took the latest svn checkout and touched up the debian directory a
> bit and put the results in this PPA:
>
> https://launchpad.net/~nutznboltz/+archive/gpsdrive

The Debian builds are way out of date for squeeze (stable), depending
as they do on very old versions of postgresql-*-postgis (the current
and only version is postgresql-8.4-postgis), making them
uninstallable.

--
Paul Martin <[hidden email]>

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Easy way to install gpsdrive 2.12pre on Ubuntu

Charles Curley
On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 08:26:14 -0800 (PST)
Ken Stailey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I took the latest svn checkout and touched up the debian directory a
> bit and put the results in this PPA:
>
> https://launchpad.net/~nutznboltz/+archive/gpsdrive

Thank you.

> Let me know if you have any questions.  Searching the web for
> "launchpad ppa" is helpful too.

I see that your version is dependent on libgps19 (>= 2.90.1~svn6819).
Will it work with the gpsd HEAD, currently at libgps.so.20?

Also, is there any way to install your package without pulling in that
dependency (currently 2.94-2 and dependent on libgps19)? I use gpsd
HEAD.

--

Charles Curley                  /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
Looking for fine software       \ /    Respect for open standards

Key fingerprint = CE5C 6645 A45A 64E4 94C0  809C FFF6 4C48 4ECD DFDB

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Easy way to install gpsdrive 2.12pre on Ubuntu

hamish-2
Hi,

for anyone interested I'll rebuild packages for debian/squeeze amd64
sometime soon. Probably post them here along my karmic and lucid packages:
  http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/data/gpsdrive/

Although I expect the existing Ubuntu/Lucid packages may "just work" on
Squeeze as the vintage of the packages in the two distros is rather
similar.

I plan build 2.11svn2556 not the latest svn because I miss the preview
window in the bottom left too much,and really I'm just building them for
myself :). (probably at some point I'll add a config option to swap that
preview box with the compass needle to 2.12svn)

If not already in the wiki I'll post the two or three commands you need
to run to generate the packages, e.g. if you want a newer gpsd from
backports.org.

and of course semi-official versions are already here:
  http://www.gpsdrive.de/development/debian.shtml

- I'm not sure if the build cluster is operational, I just get a blank page.

this would all be moot if we could get a newer gpsdrive uploaded to Sid.
I don't think the files in the debian/ dir of the gpsdrive SVN are in
such bad shape, but it's been a while since I've run lintian on them.
Not sure how to proceed on that task or how/where to unjam the logs.
Any advice Paul?

One thing I'd like to do is get the Natural Earth world boundaries
uploaded to Debian/main (CC-PD or so) so we can Recommends that and
have Mapnik+PostGIS rendering as an out-of-the-box option. I think the
300mb+ world_boundaries shapefiles will always be too big.
I've already got that working on the OSGeo LiveDVD/VM where space is
very tight.

Also (and more a task for DebianGIS than GpsDrive but worth mentioning),
I'd very much like to have GMT, ZyGRIB, Xtide, and OpenCPN all use the
same GSHHS world coastline package instead of each using a variant/
duplicate of the same dataset. Due to the hierarchical needs of those I
think the NaturalEarth shapefile (which Mapnik requires) won't do for
them.

Hamish

Charles wrote:
> I see that your version is dependent on libgps19 (>= 2.90.1~svn6819).
> Will it work with the gpsd HEAD, currently at libgps.so.20?
>
> Also, is there any way to install your package without pulling in that
> dependency (currently 2.94-2 and dependent on libgps19)? I use gpsd
> HEAD.

I expect you'll have to rebuild the package yourself, but that's just a
2-liner or so.

Hamish

Ken wrote:
> > I took the latest svn checkout and touched up the debian directory a
> > bit and put the results in this PPA:
> >
> > https://launchpad.net/~nutznboltz/+archive/gpsdrive

Paul:
> The Debian builds are way out of date for squeeze (stable), depending
> as they do on very old versions of postgresql-*-postgis (the current
> and only version is postgresql-8.4-postgis), making them
> uninstallable.

yes, but the debian/ control files in gpsdrive svn are not in such bad
shape, and I think that's what Ken was talking about touching up,
see trunk/debian/ in http://gpsdrive.sf.net/svn
, http://gpsdrive.svn.sf.net/viewvc/gpsdrive/trunk/debian/control

(I'd be interested to know what touch-ups were needed, and so if we need
adjustments or actual content in debian/ubuntu-lucid-32.patch)

Hamish

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Easy way to install gpsdrive 2.12pre on Ubuntu

Joerg Ostertag (gpsdrive Tettnang/Germany)

I didn't see that the Buildcluster ran out of discspace. It's fixed now and you should be able to get dome debian packages from there again.
If anyone has fixes which make it compile on one of the versions which are marked red; please post/svn-ci them.

http://www.gpsdrive.de/build_cluster/results.shtml

Jörg