[ gpsdrive ] Gpsdrive not connected to gpsd

[ gpsdrive ] Gpsdrive not connected to gpsd

"Hervé GALMICHE (HG)"
Dear All users,

I use gpsd v2.92 and it well detects my BU-353 antenna GPS.
I well get frames in telnet localhost 2947.
It seems now gpsd uses a Json langage to query frames in localhost.
cgps and xgps give me also the correct satellites.

Problem: When I launch gpsdrive , it always writes un bottom right in
red color: GPS Status: no gps.

So what is the problem please?

Many thanks for help
Hervé

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Gpsdrive not connected to gpsd

"Hervé GALMICHE (HG)"
HI,

Thx, but that script can me also done manually, and gpsd -b /dev/ttyUSB0 is OK, but followed by simply gpsdrive doen't work.
Gpsdrive seems not to catch gpsd frames.

Is gpsdrive latest release able to catch the new dialog methon Json of gpsd?

Any other help to make gpsdrive working?

Thx
Hervé

Le 08/03/2011 23:31, Henrik Nilsson a écrit :
Hi Hervé!

I've had same problem on a linux- asus eee!

I can not remember how I find solution. (I am newbee)
I think I used :

# Dmesg

to peek in the system. (I found that GPS is on "/dev/ttyUSB0")
Then I made a script to start everything up like this:

# gpsd /dev/ttyUSB0
# sleep 3
# gpsdrive

The Hash "#" indicate a command line in a terminal or a linux script!
So the Hash is not something you should write or enter in your script.

I saved the script and made it executable....

God luck!
Henrik

2011/3/8 "Hervé GALMICHE (HG)" <[hidden email]>
Dear All users,

I use gpsd v2.92 and it well detects my BU-353 antenna GPS.
I well get frames in telnet localhost 2947.
It seems now gpsd uses a Json langage to query frames in localhost.
cgps and xgps give me also the correct satellites.

Problem: When I launch gpsdrive , it always writes un bottom right in red color: GPS Status: no gps.

So what is the problem please?

Many thanks for help
Hervé

Henrik Nilsson
Prinsesse Christines Vej 13, 4. tv.
DK-2300 Kbh. S.
Mob:26230499

--
Untitled Document
Hervé GALMICHE

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Gpsdrive not connected to gpsd

hamish-2
Hervé:
> I use gpsd v2.92 and it well detects my BU-353 antenna GPS.
> I well get frames in telnet localhost 2947.
> cgps and xgps give me also the correct satellites.
> Problem: When I launch gpsdrive , it always writes un
> bottom right in red color: GPS Status: no gps.

what version of gpsdrive?
did you compile from source or use a distribution's package? which one?

if compiling from source, did you edit the DefineOptions.cmake file
and set this line to OFF:
  option(LIBGPS_OLD "Build with old libgps version (<2.90)" OFF)
?

if that is set wrong it won't find your gps.

Hamish

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Gpsdrive not connected to gpsd

"Hervé GALMICHE (HG)"
Hi,

I was using distribution 2.10pre4-98.1 of Opensuse.
I removed it.
I've now downloaded the latest relase 2.11 from gpdsrive.de

Here is my file DefineOptions.cmake :
For a first run , I've declared some line to OFF, I expect not to have action on GPS catch.
I've followed your request for LIBGPS_OLD "Build with old libgps version (<2.90)" OFF

option(WITH_SCRIPTS "Install perl scripts and modules" ON)
option(WITH_MAPNIK "Build with mapnik support" OFF)
option(WITH_POSTGIS "Build with PostGIS database support" OFF)
option(WITH_GDAL "Build with experimental GDAL support" OFF)
option(WITH_SPEECH "Build with support of speech output" OFF)
option(WITH_DBUS "Build with DBUS support" OFF)
option(WITH_BASEMAPS "Build with Basemaps pictures" OFF)
option(MAEMO "Build gpsdrive for maemo/hildon platform" OFF)
option(WITH_FRIENDSD "Build friendsd" ON)
option(WITH_KISMET "Build with kismet support" ON)
option(DEBUG "Build with debug -D support" ON)
option(WITH_NAVIGATION "Build with routing support" OFF)
option(LIBGPS_OLD "Build with old libgps version (<2.90)" OFF)

I did a cmake, make, make install and always NO GPS.
Here is the beginning of the debug:
"
gpsdrive -D 1
reading config file /root/.gpsdrive/gpsdriverc ...

gpsdrive (c) 2001-2006 Fritz Ganter [hidden email]

Version 2.11
$Id: gpsdrive.c 2523 2009-09-24 14:30:47Z hbowman $

Connection to GPS Daemon on 127.0.0.1:2947 established.
Initializing Database access...
DB: Using waypoints from local user file.
read_themed_icon([square.big] accommodation): No Icon 'accommodation' found for theme square.big
.../...
"

Seems the connection to gpsd works, but always NO GPS in Red.

Any idea?
Thx
Hervé

Should I have to
Le 09/03/2011 07:49, Hamish a écrit :
Hervé:
[...]

Bruce Johnson-5
On 3/16/2011 6:13 AM, Abdullah Ali AL-Dokkan wrote:

[...]

I surmise your desire is run gpsdrive on Windows.  Why?  Linux variants are as reliable as Windows 7 in my experience.  For the Windows environment, Streets & Trips, at least in America, is pretty darn good.  I suppose one can load cygwin libraries which I did because my particular GPS device went berserk for a while and the particular laptop had to be Vista only but I don't recommend it.

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Gpsdrive not connected to gpsd

Abdullah Ali AL-Dokkan
OK  you are right , but if you have system on windows! need to be integrated with Car Navigation system
i need to do some modification and may add some features and compile it at least on android and meego

2011/3/16 Bruce Johnson <[hidden email]>
[...]

You are in an area where I have no experience.  I never will own a
vehicle with a factory navigation system.  It does sound interesting as
a project.  I seem to recall Ford advertising a Windows variant for
their entertainment/navigation devices.  All I can suggest is trying to
get cygwin libraries onto the car's windows O/S so gpsd can run there.
Perhaps then bluetooth can be used to connect that to a meego computer
running gpsdrive.

Good Luck!