[ gpsdrive ] How to access a remote host

[ gpsdrive ] How to access a remote host

Tim Rogers
 I have a gps receiver running on openwrt on a remote host. I can run
cgps 192.168.3.1 and it outputs the correct data. I want to run gpsdrive
which I thought I could run with gpsdrive -b 192.168.3.1 but gpssdrive
always starts with no gps device detected. Anyone have any idea what I
am doing wrong?

Thanks Tim

Re: [ gpsdrive ] How to access a remote host

hamish-2
Tim wrote:

> I have a gps receiver running on openwrt on a remote host. I can run
> cgps 192.168.3.1 and it outputs the correct data. I want to run gpsdrive
> which I thought I could run with gpsdrive -b 192.168.3.1 but gpssdrive
> always starts with no gps device detected. Anyone have any idea what I
> am doing wrong?

The man page states it should be an uppercase "B",

       -B, --gpsd-server=<SERVER>
              Server name of the NMEA server. You can  connect  your
              GPS  receiver  to  a remote host which is running gpsd
              and display the position on your local machine.

does that help?

or maybe there is a way to get gpsd to relay from another
machine? I'm not sure.

regards
Hamish

Hamish wrote:

> or maybe there is a way to get gpsd to relay from another
> machine? I'm not sure.

another way is to make a tunnel with 'ssh -D'. (but really the -B flag should simply be working :)

Hamish

Re: [ gpsdrive ] How to access a remote host

Tim Rogers
Interesting that my help file (on debian) shows

-b Server Servername for NMEA server (if gpsd runs on another host)

but tried -B as well and that isn't recognised.

Will try the ssh tunnel approach as well to keep you updated,

thanks Tim

On Wed, 2014-03-12 at 12:23 -070
0, Hamish wrote:

> Hamish wrote:
>
> > or maybe there is a way to get gpsd to relay from another
> > machine? I'm not sure.
>
> another way is to make a tunnel with 'ssh -D'. (but really the -B flag should simply be working :)
>

> Hamish

Re: [ gpsdrive ] How to access a remote host

Antony Stone-2
On Thursday 13 March 2014 at 06:53:45, Tim Rogers wrote:

> Interesting that my help file (on debian) shows
>
> -b Server Servername for NMEA server (if gpsd runs on another host)
>
> but tried -B as well and that isn't recognised.

Hm, are you sure this is the same version of gpsd?

There has been more than one project (from independent developers) to create a
daemon of that name, and I suspect the one you've got installed under Debian
might not be the same one that people are giving advice on here.

Regards,

Antony.

--
"In fact I wanted to be John Cleese and it took me some time to realise that
the job was already taken."

 - Douglas Adams

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.

Re: [ gpsdrive ] How to access a remote host

Charles Curley
On Thu, 13 Mar 2014 09:45:22 +0100
Antony Stone <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hm, are you sure this is the same version of gpsd?
>
> There has been more than one project (from independent developers) to
> create a daemon of that name, and I suspect the one you've got
> installed under Debian might not be the same one that people are
> giving advice on here.

The "real" gpsd is the one hosted at http://www.catb.org/gpsd/, headed
up by the one and only Eric Raymond of "The Cathedral and the Bazaar"
fame, hence the domain name. This is the one provided by the debian
project. "apt-cache show gpsd"

The version currently playing on debian wheezy stable is 3.6-4+deb7u1.
The protocol version on the server and the client should match, and the
client should have both compile time and run-time checks to be sure
they do.

Tim Rogers, when you run gpsdrive from a terminal, do you see any error
message that might be relevant?

supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the
place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
-- U.S. Const. Amendment IV

Key fingerprint = CE5C 6645 A45A 64E4 94C0  809C FFF6 4C48 4ECD DFDB