Quantcast

[ gpsdrive ] Status of gpsdrive? Current version?

[ gpsdrive ] Status of gpsdrive? Current version?

Nicolas Neuss
Hi,

is there a version of gpsdrive working on current Debian/Ubuntu/Linux
versions?  Packaged with Ubuntu 13.10 is some version 2.10 which seems
to be incapable to talk with gpsd (probably due to the gpsd change to
JSON long time ago).

Is there some version working on some recent Linux distributions?
What is the status of gpsdrive in general?

Thank you,

Nicolas

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Status of gpsdrive? Current version?

Tobias Brox
[Nicolas Neuss @ 2013-12-19 18:02]
> Is there some version working on some recent Linux distributions?
> What is the status of gpsdrive in general?

My general impression is that the project is quite dead and abandoned ...
though looking at sourceforge there were actually some commits done in July.

--
Tobias Brox

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Status of gpsdrive? Current version?

Kugelblitz
I just tried it.
You can still compile it on Debian 7.3 with default config.(Just followed the wiki and solved dep errors) and build your own deb package
Can't test gpsd though (vm can't connect to my bt gps and i don't have the time to get fakegps, from gpsd package, running)
My own manual for an older debian version is not with me atm. I can't look it up before 1/3/14 and i am not even sure if it still exists. But if there wasn't a major change in gpsd within a year it should be runnin' fine...

Helge Tillmann <[hidden email]> writes:

> I just tried it.
> You can still compile it on Debian 7.3 with default config.(Just followed the wiki and solved dep errors) and build your own deb
> package

OK, thank you for the info.

[I also tried, but gave up at some place when some specific version of a
library was needed (IIRC libgps19 whereas I had libgps20 installed).]

Tobias Brox <[hidden email]> writes:

> [Nicolas Neuss @ 2013-12-19 18:02]
>> Is there some version working on some recent Linux distributions?
>> What is the status of gpsdrive in general?
>
> My general impression is that the project is quite dead and abandoned ...
> though looking at sourceforge there were actually some commits done in July.

Could be that this is true, but I am a newcomer to GPS navigation and
cannot really judge that.

[Now, it looks as if Viking is a reasonable alternative for me, although
I have not yet been able to download a whole region from OpenStreetMap
for offline-use.]

Thanks,

[Nicolas Neuss @ 2013-12-20 10:00]
> Could be that this is true, but I am a newcomer to GPS navigation and
> cannot really judge that.

Eventually, foxtrotgps is another alternative.

--
Tobias Brox

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Status of gpsdrive? Current version?

Kugelblitz

When I am back home(January) I could provide Debian 7.3 amd64 package and if I remember it correctly there is a guide in the wiki to port it to Ubuntu.

But I think tobias is right.  This is the first conversation on this mailing list for months.

Am 20.12.2013 10:03 schrieb "Tobias Brox" <[hidden email]>:
[Nicolas Neuss @ 2013-12-20 10:00]
> Could be that this is true, but I am a newcomer to GPS navigation and
> cannot really judge that.

Eventually, foxtrotgps is another alternative.

--
Tobias Brox

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Status of gpsdrive? Current version?

Doug Robinson

There is a Santa Claus...

Am <a href="tel:20.12.2013%2010" value="+12012201310" target="_blank">20.12.2013 10:03 schrieb "Tobias Brox" <[hidden email]>:
[Nicolas Neuss @ 2013-12-20 10:00]
> Could be that this is true, but I am a newcomer to GPS navigation and
> cannot really judge that.

Eventually, foxtrotgps is another alternative.

--
Tobias Brox

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Status of gpsdrive? Current version?

Kugelblitz

Sorry guys I forgot about you. I will post a link shortly. Or isn't it needed anymore :)

Santa Claus

There is a Santa Claus...

On Dec 20, 2013 6:03 PM, "Helge Tillmann" <[hidden email]> wrote:

When I am back home(January) I could provide Debian 7.3 amd64 package and if I remember it correctly there is a guide in the wiki to port it to Ubuntu.

But I think tobias is right.  This is the first conversation on this mailing list for months.

Am <a href="tel:20.12.2013%2010" value="+12012201310" target="_blank">20.12.2013 10:03 schrieb "Tobias Brox" <[hidden email]>:
[Nicolas Neuss @ 2013-12-20 10:00]
> Could be that this is true, but I am a newcomer to GPS navigation and
> cannot really judge that.

Eventually, foxtrotgps is another alternative.

--
Tobias Brox

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Status of gpsdrive? Current version?

Antony Stone-2
On Monday 20 January 2014 at 23:22:08, Helge Tillmann wrote:

> Sorry guys I forgot about you. I will post a link shortly. Or isn't it
> needed anymore :)

Yes please, people are still here :)

> Santa Claus

Happy festivities (or happy relaxation following them).

Antony

--
"I estimate there's a world market for about five computers."

 - Thomas J Watson, Chairman of IBM

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Status of gpsdrive? Current version?

Kugelblitz
Hi there,

as promised here is a link
http://multiupload.biz/5v13qz1wq9wx/gpsdrive_2.12+svn2722-1_amd64_MultiUpload.biz.zip.html#.Ut7cPrQweHs

if it is needed, i will host a torrent from approx. 18-22 GMT+1 weekdays

It worked on a clean install on following System:
root@debian:~# lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:    Debian
Release:    7.3
Codename:    wheezy
root@debian:~# cat /proc/version
Linux version 3.2.0-4-amd64 (debian-kernel@lists.debian.org) (gcc version 4.6.3 (Debian 4.6.3-14) ) #1 SMP Debian 3.2.51-1

SVN Info:
root@debian:~/gprsdrive-trunk# svn info
Repository Root: https://svn.code.sf.net/p/gpsdrive/code
Repository UUID: e3ca9d6f-f84a-410d-b97a-e7ddc331358d
Revision: 2723
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: hbowman
Last Changed Rev: 2723
Last Changed Date: 2013-09-21 23:25:56 +0200 (Sat, 21 Sep 2013)

Package Info:
root@debian:~# dpkg-deb --info gpsdrive_2.12+svn2722-1_amd64.deb
 new debian package, version 2.0.
 size 616982 bytes: control archive=3451 bytes.
     438 bytes,    26 lines   *  config               #!/bin/sh
    2047 bytes,    26 lines      control
    2490 bytes,    33 lines      md5sums
     938 bytes,    42 lines   *  postinst             #!/bin/sh
     349 bytes,    11 lines   *  postrm               #!/bin/sh
    1029 bytes,    29 lines      templates
 Package: gpsdrive
 Version: 2.12+svn2722-1

I don't know why it is 2723 @ repo and 2722 on my machine. I did the checkout in december

Install:
  1. download&unzip
  2. dpkg -i gpsdrive* | dependencie errors will occur
  3. apt-get -f install | resolve dependencis
  4. dpkg -i gpsdrive* | do it again
...or use gdebi

Hope you enjoy it :)
Helge

P.S. Pls tell me if it worked or not :)

2014/1/21 Antony Stone <[hidden email]>
On Monday 20 January 2014 at 23:22:08, Helge Tillmann wrote:

> Sorry guys I forgot about you. I will post a link shortly. Or isn't it
> needed anymore :)

Yes please, people are still here :)

> Santa Claus

Happy festivities (or happy relaxation following them).

Antony

--
"I estimate there's a world market for about five computers."

 - Thomas J Watson, Chairman of IBM

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Status of gpsdrive? Current version?

hamish-2
Hi all, glad there is still interest. :)

fwiw it's probably up to me to upload the new version into Debian, but I've been busy with other tasks these last months and have a number of packages in the same situation.

The good news is that I've been keeping up with the debian/ dir in gpsdrive svn and slowly sync'ing it and the outdated DebianGIS svn packaging rules (which I also maintain). I haven't tried on Sid in a couple months, but it was building post-wheezy early transitions.

see also http://bugs.debian.org/gpsdrive

The security tag on the bug makes it easier to get the new package in, but we've got to do it before we get declared a lost cause and deleted from debian. Otherwise we have to start the vetting process over from scratch.

For the OSGeo Live DVD I maintain current GpsDrive ubuntu packages, you can find a few of them here (incl. squeeze):
  http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/data/gpsdrive/

and in working order on 12.04LTS: http://live.osgeo.org

I can rebuild the gpsdrive package for other versions/arches as needed and host them at osgeo or our sourceforge site, but I prefer to spend my time on LTS and Debian/stable releases and getting it uploaded to official debian servers, otherwise the number of versions gets out of control & lots of double handling.

You might also check out the status of the build cluster on gpsdrive.de, http://www.gpsdrive.de/build_cluster/results.shtml

I'd like to tag a 2.12pre release soonish, please test the current svn trunk and post any troubles to this list.

regards,
Hamish

Re: [ gpsdrive ] Status of gpsdrive? Current version?

Kugelblitz
Hi Hamish,

nice to see you didn't abandon this project. If i get you right you're also the debian maintainer for this project, so i would appreciate it if you could update the repository for the latest stable debian rls. My packages are only an interim soultion! (If anyone has used them :P)

Thx for your Work
Helge

2014-01-27 Hamish <[hidden email]>