[ gpsdrive ] progress on building for Ubuntu 12.04 and Debian/Sid

[ gpsdrive ] progress on building for Ubuntu 12.04 and Debian/Sid

hamish-2
Hi,

today I have been working on getting GpsDrive svn working on Ubuntu 12.04
and Debian/sid.

the three main issues were all support libraries who changed their APIs
in non-backwards compatible ways recently. grumble.

* gpsd > 2.96   : hopefully ok now
* Mapnik 2.0    : hopefully ok now (still some work to do on auto osm.xml)
* Boost >= 1.46 : mostly done but I get a linking error for -lboost-system

so it compiles ok now, just fails on the final linking.

(using debuild to try and make a debian package on Ubuntu 12.04)

[...]
  Linking CXX executable gpsdrive
/usr/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/gpsdrive.dir/mapnik.o: undefined reference to
symbol 'boost::system::system_category()'
/usr/bin/ld: note: 'boost::system::system_category()' is defined in DSO
/usr/lib/libboost_system.so.1.46.1 so try adding it to the linker command
line
/usr/lib/libboost_system.so.1.46.1: could not read symbols: Invalid
operation
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [src/gpsdrive] Error 1

In src/CMakeLists.txt I added "system" to req'd components,
if (WITH_MAPNIK)
  find_package(Boost COMPONENTS filesystem system REQUIRED)
  find_package(Mapnik REQUIRED)
  add_definitions(-DMAPNIK)
endif (WITH_MAPNIK)

and I replaced old cmake/Modules/FindBoost.cmake with a modern copy from
/usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindBoost.cmake

but still the same thing.

Any ideas? I'm not boost or C++ expert.

thanks,
Hamish

Re: [ gpsdrive ] progress on building for Ubuntu 12.04 and Debian/Sid

4x4falcon
Wild stab in the dark.

sudo apt-get install libboost-system-dev

 (or what ever the dev package is for boost-system)

Cheers
Ross

> Hi,
>
> today I have been working on getting GpsDrive svn working on Ubuntu 12.04
> and Debian/sid.
>
> the three main issues were all support libraries who changed their APIs
> in non-backwards compatible ways recently. grumble.
>
> * gpsd > 2.96   : hopefully ok now
> * Mapnik 2.0    : hopefully ok now (still some work to do on auto osm.xml)
> * Boost >= 1.46 : mostly done but I get a linking error for -lboost-system
>

> so it compiles ok now, just fails on the final linking.
>
> (using debuild to try and make a debian package on Ubuntu 12.04)
>
> [...]
>   Linking CXX executable gpsdrive
> /usr/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/gpsdrive.dir/mapnik.o: undefined reference to
> symbol 'boost::system::system_category()'
> /usr/bin/ld: note: 'boost::system::system_category()' is defined in DSO
> /usr/lib/libboost_system.so.1.46.1 so try adding it to the linker command
> line
> /usr/lib/libboost_system.so.1.46.1: could not read symbols: Invalid
> operation
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[3]: *** [src/gpsdrive] Error 1
>

> In src/CMakeLists.txt I added "system" to req'd components,
> if (WITH_MAPNIK)
>   find_package(Boost COMPONENTS filesystem system REQUIRED)
>   find_package(Mapnik REQUIRED)
>   add_definitions(-DMAPNIK)
> endif (WITH_MAPNIK)
>

> and I replaced old cmake/Modules/FindBoost.cmake with a modern copy from
> /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindBoost.cmake
>
> but still the same thing.
>

> Any ideas? I'm not boost or C++ expert.
>

> thanks,
> Hamish

Re: [ gpsdrive ] progress on building for Ubuntu 12.04 and Debian/Sid

hamish-2
Hamish:
> > so it compiles ok now, just fails on the final linking.
> >
> > (using debuild to try and make a debian package on Ubuntu
> > 12.04)

(same for Debian/sid)

> > [...]
> >   Linking CXX executable gpsdrive
> > /usr/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/gpsdrive.dir/mapnik.o: undefined reference to
> > symbol 'boost::system::system_category()'
> > /usr/bin/ld: note: 'boost::system::system_category()' is defined in DSO
> > /usr/lib/libboost_system.so.1.46.1 so try adding it to the linker command
> > line
> > /usr/lib/libboost_system.so.1.46.1: could not read symbols: Invalid
> > operation
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > make[3]: *** [src/gpsdrive] Error 1

Ross:
> Wild stab in the dark.
> sudo apt-get install libboost-system-dev
>  (or what ever the dev package is for boost-system)

nothing so simple I'm afraid, /usr/lib/libboost_system.so
is installed ok.

on the positive side, if I build without Mapnik support it
builds the package ok and I can run it. One trouble to overcome
is that openstreetmap-map-icons-classic provides geoinfo.db.gz,
but as
/usr/share/doc/openstreetmap-map-icons-classic/examples/geoinfo.db.gz

I haven't tried, but I suspect that we'd have to decompress
that into /usr/share/gpsdrive/ as part of the packaging rules.
Debian doesn't like duplication of files, but I'm not sure of
another way. For now I had to do that by hand.

Hamish

Re: [ gpsdrive ] progress on building for Ubuntu 12.04 and Debian/Sid

4x4falcon
> Ross:
>> Wild stab in the dark.
>> sudo apt-get install libboost-system-dev
>>   (or what ever the dev package is for boost-system)
>
> nothing so simple I'm afraid, /usr/lib/libboost_system.so
> is installed ok.

Hi Hamish,

But what about the -dev package.

Cheers
Ross

Re: [ gpsdrive ] progress on building for Ubuntu 12.04 and Debian/Sid

hamish-2
> > Ross:
> >> Wild stab in the dark.
> >> sudo apt-get install libboost-system-dev
> >>   (or what ever the dev package is for boost-system)
Hamish:
> > nothing so simple I'm afraid, /usr/lib/libboost_system.so
> > is installed ok.
Ross:
> But what about the -dev package.

yes, it's installed too.

On 21/05/12 05:20, Hamish wrote:

>>> Ross:
> Hamish:
>>> nothing so simple I'm afraid, /usr/lib/libboost_system.so
>>> is installed ok.
> Ross:
>> But what about the -dev package.
>
> yes, it's installed too.
>

> Hamish
Well it was a guess and it's the only thing I've found via google that
causes this.

Any way I havn't much time at the moment as packing up to move back to
the east coast after 2 years on the west coast.

I'll be home in about 6 weeks and will see what stage we're at with it then.

Cheers
Ross