[ gpsdrive ] status update

hamish-2
Hi there,

long time since any updates so I thought I'd send a note.

- yesterday I build and ran GpsDrive 2.11 on my Debian/stable (squeeze)
netbook. all worked well, tested with a BU353 USB puck mouse.
Slight adjustments were needed for the modern version of mapnik 0.7
and postgis 1.5 in Debian/squeeze, but nothing dramatic or traumatic.
For osm2pgsql I built from OSM svn instead of using the very old Debian
package of it. Something in there made me have to remove 'learning=*'
from osm.xml which isn't used anymore by OSM. (now fixed in gpsdrive svn)

- GpsDrive made a notable outing on the FOSS4G 2011 Conference live-DVD
which was handed out to all delegates (~1000), and also to some lucky
OSM State of the Map attendees which immediately preceded it a couple
of months ago in Denver, CO.

- NASA's JPL OnEarth WMS server which had been providing our global
LANDSAT mosaic from the Maps->Download menu has recently been shut
down, only pre-rendered tile requests remain. We could adjust to use
that but I think it would be more useful to find another generic
global-use WMS server, and the functionality provides a nice example
in the code of how to talk to a WMS server. Any ideas?
For now I just think to grey it out in the map source selector.

- The debian package is still many years of out date and doesn't work
with more modern versions of gpsd which ships with the same version of
Debian and Ubuntu. One of the reasons I think it has been so quiet
around here is that many of our new users get a bad impression of the
program from the official packages without ever finding the ones at
www.gpsdrive.de, and building+installing from source including setting
up the PostGIS database is non-trivial.

- poi.gpsdrive.de seems to have gone away, which motivated me to look
up Guenther's posted instructions on how to generate our own. In the
GpsDrive scripts/ dir there's some perl which will go from GPX to
sqlite.db, and CloudMade offers GPX downloads of POI by country.
But in an old email was the hint to use osm2poidb from OSM's svn for
this, it worked very nicely.
  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.linux.gps/5858

$ bzcat Denver.osm.bz2 | osm2poidb -o Denver_poi.db STDIN

then copy the .db file into ~/.gpsdrive and edit the gpsdriverc
file to point to it.

Guenther wrote:
> @Joerg/Hamish:
> is this one already in one of the packages we provide?

no, it isn't. elsewhere we automatically have svn pull in other things
directly from OSM svn, how to add that into scripts/ in the same way?

- just wondering, if folks have moved onto other navigation software,
what are you using? These days I mostly use OpenCPN as most of my nav-
igations needs are marine not car-related, but I noticed that GpsDrive
in PDA mode looked like it could be very nice for use on an Andriod like
the new Nook. I may be temped to install the ICS qemu-SDK and see if we
can set it up as an App. :-)  Pre-seeding the OSM data into the PostGIS
database is still the not-end-user-friendly sticking point.
Two features that newer versions of OSM's Gosmore has that GpsDrive
doesn't is "3D"(sorta) perspective display and A->B routing. Other than
that we are visually worlds ahead of it.
Or have smart phone apps eaten the market? (where I live the cell
phone coverage is poor, and the data costs restrictively high, so most
people still use old-style dumb phones, none of this fancy 3G stuff)

- Every time I hear about patent lawsuits around location based devices,
I wonder how many this project provides long-ago published prior-art for.
Friendsd is probably at the top of that list, if you don't count decades
of air traffic control ID'ing radars for "finding your nearby friends".

The main thing though, is that I'd like to renew efforts to upload 2.11
to debian/sid. I can help take care of things from the DebianGIS side
of things, but we need to provide a clean set of packages, and decide
if we want "light" and "full featured" versions (bare bones vs. postgis+
mapnik+esound+...).  For the mapnik'd version I've been able to replace
the 500mb world coastline shapefile with the much much smaller one from
Natural Earth, which we could try to package (it's public domain).
Details of that in the OSGeo LiveDVD build scripts,
  http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/bin/
but I think we still need to work on using the distro's copies of the
OSM icons instead of depending on our own .deb copies.

For ubuntu 12.04 LTS we need to rewrite the gpsd version detection code,
there are patches in the SF bug tracker but we can use the header defines
to have it figure that out automatically at build-time, saving us some
trouble. fwiw Gpsd v3 has not yet made it to debian/sid, although it is
in experimental.

mapnik 2.0.0 & postgres 9.1 are now in debian/testing, so we'll have to deal
with that in the near future too.

best regards from springtime in the south pacific,
Hamish

Re: [ gpsdrive ] status update

chris123
Greets Hamish:

Also moved on to opencpn which has an android port in progress. Was
wondering where I could download the live DVD from the conference.

Great from winter bound London ON CA.

/ch

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 4:58 AM, Hamish <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> long time since any updates so I thought I'd send a note.

Re: [ gpsdrive ] status update

Guenther Meyer
Am Fri, 18 Nov 2011 01:58:56 -0800 (PST)
schrieb Hamish <[hidden email]>:

> - just wondering, if folks have moved onto other navigation software,
> what are you using? These days I mostly use OpenCPN as most of my nav-
> igations needs are marine not car-related, but I noticed that GpsDrive
> in PDA mode looked like it could be very nice for use on an Andriod
> like the new Nook. I may be temped to install the ICS qemu-SDK and
> see if we can set it up as an App. :-)  Pre-seeding the OSM data into
> the PostGIS database is still the not-end-user-friendly sticking
> point. Two features that newer versions of OSM's Gosmore has that
> GpsDrive doesn't is "3D"(sorta) perspective display and A->B routing.
> Other than that we are visually worlds ahead of it.
My primary usage is hiking, geocaching, and some car navigation.

I started porting GpsDrive to the maemo platform some time ago to use
it on my N810. Basically that did work, but there have been a lot of
issues which would have required a lot more time.

My primary GPS device now is an Android based smartphone.
There are several GPS apps available, I am primarily using Locus Pro,
which has practically all features I always wanted for GpsDrive - and
some more.

> Or have smart phone apps eaten the market? (where I live the cell
> phone coverage is poor, and the data costs restrictively high, so most
> people still use old-style dumb phones, none of this fancy 3G stuff)

That depends on the usage scenario.
Usually it's easy to transfer the Map and POI data to the
device at home via USB or WLAN, so a mobile connection is not needed
while outside.

Re: [ gpsdrive ] status update

hamish-2
Chris wrote:
> Was wondering where I could download the live DVD
> from the conference.

http://live.osgeo.org

http://live.osgeo.org/en/overview/gpsdrive_overview.html

enjoy,